This position is remote.
The Underwriting Manager is responsible for overseeing a team and underwriting new files as part of their current day to day responsibilities. This position will be responsible for managing the Freedom Mortgage Underwriting team to include constant monitoring of file flow and workloads in order to attain acceptable turn times and member service. The Underwriting Manager will monitor efficiencies and will continually look for ways to improve our processes, both in terms of procedures and use of systems to ensure continuous service and quality improvements and error reductions. Success in this position is demonstrated by building a cohesive team of Underwriters, effectively applying guidelines and sound underwriting practices, providing intelligent risk assessment and informed decisions while ensuring regulatory compliance and meeting all agreed upon SLAs. Freedom Mortgage has a commitment to excellence and the highest standards of member service. Our values and beliefs are critical to the success and growth of the business and they were all created with a unique cultural foundation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and maintain a highly efficient and productive environment/culture that values its team members and rewards performance.
- Ensures effective communication with staff, management, and partner credit unions
- Manage the mortgage underwriting pipeline being cognizant of service levels, quality, compliance and member expectations
- Plans, coordinates, directs, reviews and supervises work of subordinates in the underwriting of conventional first mortgage loans including:
- Oversees underwriting to ensure adherence to all investor and credit union guidelines;
- Reviews loans submitted to Underwriting to ensure they are complete and accurate and provides feedback to Processing team;
- Ensures the integrity of loan data entered and maintained in Empower LOS and investor AUS;
- Ensures that loan conditions submitted to obtain clear-to-close are reviewed in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements including but not limited to: HMDA, RESPA, Reg Z, Reg B, Fact Act, and Safe Act
- Monitor results of internal audits and suspensions for areas needing improvement and additional training opportunities
- Demonstrate exceptional service in all interactions with members, prospective members and personnel in partner credit unions
- Provide guidance, training, coaching and assistance to processing staff as needed
- Responsible for hiring, employee evaluations, disciplinary actions, salary adjustments and termination functions.
- Review and analyze file documentation related to the loan decision and properly mitigate and document policy exceptions
- Work closely with varying levels of management both internally and externally with members
- Other various duties as required
- Ability to function in an ever-changing environment and work across all business channels in Underwriting (Retail/CC/Wholesale) as needed
Manages staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strong knowledge of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac guidelines and AUS
- Strong knowledge of FHA/VA guidelines and AUS
- Strong knowledge of State and Federal laws pertaining to the mortgage banking industry (i.e. RESPA, TILA, ECOA, etc.)
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are necessary
- Excellent customer service skills with strong attention to detail
- Time Management skills and the ability to prioritize workload based on department SLA’s and member needs
- Strong analytical skills required with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed
- Ability to multi-task in other areas of the unit
- Positive attitude and team-oriented spirit
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED required, BA/BS perferred
- Typically 7 years experience in all aspects residential mortgage origination for both conventional and government products
- Five or more years experience in a management role
- All designations required: DE, LAPP, SAR
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques and styles. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals Ability to compute rate, ratio, percentage, and draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but involved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
All designations required: DE, LAPP, SAR
Customer Service Relationships
Anticipates customer needs and regularly motivates or influences others to deliver customer service excellence. May troubleshoot highly sensitive or confidential issues. Personally ensures problem resolution. Identifies barriers to effective customer service and sets customer service standards. Establishes a customer feedback system and holds self-accountable for customer service excellence within the department.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Career development and advancement
Working at Freedom, you have the chance to invest in yourself. From on-the-job training to advancement opportunities, and from tuition assistance to our annual internal leadership conference, we’re focused on upskilling, achieving, and celebrating.Learn More
We run huge company-sponsored donation events and contests, as well as offer paid volunteer time so you can commit your support to the causes which you care about most.Learn More
Holidays and paid time off
We offer ample paid time off including multiple paid holidays — because your downtime and well-being are just as important to us as your time in work mode.Learn More
Our salaries are competitive — rewarding your experiences, contributions, and hard work. We also have a 401K plan which provides a matching contribution.Learn More
We offer several medical benefits plans and options to choose from including dental, vision, disability and life insurance, dependent care and flexible spending.Learn More
Pets are part of the family too! We offer comprehensive vet insurance to make sure your cats are cared for, your pups are prioritized, and your lizards looked-after.Learn More
Remote Senior Loan Advisor The Senior Loan Advisor is a customer focused, inside sales position within the Call Center. Will be responsible for both in-bound and out-bound calls through marketing campaigns. W…
· Perform various functions on mortgage servicing system, including but not limited to, review/clear assigned tasks within required timeframes; document required notations; monitor vendor ta…
The Fast Track Sales Level 1 is a pathway to becoming a customer focused Loan Advisor and sales professional within the Call Center department. Employees will provide high quality service by assisting potential and current customers in selecting…
Freedom Mortgage is seeking a Senior Data Analyst to work with our business, operations, governance, and technology teams to analyze data and drive insights including data quality, missing or incomplete elements, and ensure …
The Supervisor, Loss Mitigation - Business Process Analyst will be responsible, directly or through staff, for protecting the assets of the company in bankruptcies, repossessions and other legal proceedings. This position plans, directs, s…
Position Description: The Escrow Processor will perform the following functions: Perform various functions on mortgage servicing system, including but not limited to, review/clear assigned tasks…
The Senior Loan Advisor is a customer focused, inside sales position within the Call Center. Will be responsible for both in-bound and out-bound calls through marketing campaigns. Will conduct the initial pre-qualification p…
At Freedom Mortgage Corporation, we are working with leading technologies that include We are seeking a Senior engineer / Tech Lead to join our progressive information technology team. This is an opportunity to develop your skills …
Soar With Us Flying ahead of the flock for over 30 years, we at Freedom Mortgage have taken millions of Americans under our wing and helped them achieve their dreams of financial betterment and homeownership. This …