(This position will be primarily remote but may have to travel 5% when travel is safe to resume)
The Sr. Employee Relations Specialist is responsible for coordinating and directing the Employee Relations programs and functions. These functions include responsibility for developing, interpreting, and recommending program goals and objectives, policies, and procedures, and courses of action and training. The incumbent is responsible for managing the employee relations activities according to established guidelines and sound administrative practices.
Essential Job Functions:
Employee Relations Risk Management
- Assists in monitoring, planning, developing and implementing new and revised employee relations programs, policies, procedures and best practices
- Monitoring the effectiveness of policies, procedures and best practices and evaluates and/or recommends changes which enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and services.
- Investigates and documents problems, such as: working conditions, disciplinary actions, and employee and applicant appeals and grievances, etc.
- Provides support/guidance for employee relations activities to include, but not limited to, employee counseling and coaching, complaint investigations, unlawful discrimination or harassment charges, reviewing and/or recommending corrective/disciplinary action, separations, EEOC charges, assessing reduction activity/RIFs.
- Provides consultation, support and training to all levels of management and Human Resources Business Partners on employee relations policies, practices, procedures and related decisions.
- Providing guidance and recommendations for problem resolution to individual contributors and leaders of various levels, face to face, via email, phone, web-based meetings, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Tracks employee relations and corrective action activities; compiles/analyzes/reports/presents data and findings; identifies trends/patterns and recommends and/or implements corrective action.
- Provides support in developing and establishing in-service employee training as well as recommends trainings in an effort to upgrade managerial, technical, and support-level productivity.
- Provides guidance on escalated disability accommodations, FMLA and leave of absence concerns.
- Responsible for unemployment claim data gathering and responding to claims and/or appearing for unemployment hearings with assistance of unemployment claim vendor.
- Maintain employer-employee relationships that contribute to satisfactory productivity, motivation, and morale.
- Part of the Emergency incident response team and works in conjunction with Legal/Security/Business Continuity on plan of action, security, process, incident review to ensure workplace health and safety.
- Prepares and presents required reports, presentations, trainings regarding Employee Relations matters, etc.
HR Policies & Best Practices
- Works with HR staff and departmental leadership to ensure HR policies and procedures are appropriately aligned with departmental goals, objectives and culture, and attentive to federal, state and local laws.
- Implements and provides guidance to management/staff and ensures programs and administration are consistent with departmental objectives and attentive to related policies and regulations.
- Acts as a resource to ensure fair and consistent interpretation, implementation, communication and administration of related program, policies and initiatives.
- Review of business specific program guidelines and policies.
- Provides consultation to HR for company’s background check practice in conjunction with legal, provide best practices and state/regulatory-specific guidance for criminal/credit background checks.
- Assists in the development, documentation and maintenance of compliance process and procedures to enhance and streamline processes and ensure compliance with related regulatory and HR compliance requirements.
- Responsible for required reporting/analyzing; Affirmative Action, EEO-1 and Vets-4212 data compiling and analyzing.
- Provides state/federal/local guidance on laws to Centers of Excellence/HRBPs/Management.
- Collaborates with Legal, HR Audit & Control to ensure HR processes and procedures are compliant and continue to meet regulations/laws.
- Collaborates with Employee Relations team on HR trainings and HR compliance calendar
- Creation of Legal regulatory compliance and HR compliance process to adhere to regulatory/state/federal compliance
Travel & Location Status
- Travel, national 5%, may vary based on business conditions (when travel is safe to resume).
- Remote during pandemic (May be a hybrid (remote/office) position, if located near an office).
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from an accredited College or University preferably in Human Resource Management or related field. Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP). J.D. may be accepted in lieu of experience.
- 4+ years of experience in Employee Relations in a position of responsibility or supervisory duties.
- Previous experience with implementing or assisting in the implementation of Employee Relations case management software.
- Preferred experience in an Employee Relations Shared Services Center.
- Experience and extensive knowledge of state and federal employment laws, including but not limited to, Title VII, FML, ADA, FCRA, FLSA, EEOC, Accommodations, etc.
- Solid understanding and keeping apprised of federal, state and local employment laws and regulations in order to ensure departmental compliance.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, memos, and workplace policies. Ability to analyze, interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write professional correspondences. Ability to write routine business reports. Ability to speak effectively with other employees and/or customers. Ability to present formal information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and employees. Ability to present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, managers, employees, customers and/or the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to carry out detailed written and/or verbal instructions. Ability to solve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Certified in one of the following: Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
Physical Demands :
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks and functions listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Career development and advancement
Working at Freedom, you have the chance to invest in yourself. From on-the-job training to advancement opportunities, and from tuition assistance to our annual internal leadership conference, we’re focused on upskilling, achieving, and celebrating.Learn More
We run huge company-sponsored donation events and contests, as well as offer paid volunteer time so you can commit your support to the causes which you care about most.Learn More
Holidays and paid time off
We offer ample paid time off including multiple paid holidays — because your downtime and well-being are just as important to us as your time in work mode.Learn More
Our salaries are competitive — rewarding your experiences, contributions, and hard work. We also have a 401K plan which provides a matching contribution.Learn More
We offer several medical benefits plans and options to choose from including dental, vision, disability and life insurance, dependent care and flexible spending.Learn More
Pets are part of the family too! We offer comprehensive vet insurance to make sure your cats are cared for, your pups are prioritized, and your lizards looked-after.Learn More
(This position is 100% remote) The High Volume Corporate Recruiter is responsible to lead the recruiting process for all divisions, from talent sourcing and attracting candidates to interviewing and hiring. …
(This position will 100% Remote) The Human Resources Onboarding Specialist (HR Shared Services Admin) is responsible for serving as a primary Human Resources (HR) point-of-contact for incoming new employees. This posit…
(This position will be 100% remote) Reporting into the Recruitment Leadership team, this role will drive recruiting initiatives and process improvements for the Freedom Organization. The ideal candidate will possess a team-oriented …
THIS POSITION WILL BE 100% REMOTE Summary: Serves as the main point of contact for all incentive related employment agreements. Essential Job Functions: …
**REMOTE OPPORTUNITY** Summary The Leave Intake Specialist is responsible for managing a shared inbox for all incoming inquiries and requests, specific to leave of absences, for the whole company. This position will re…
**REMOTE OPPORTUNITY** The Leave Program Specialist coordinates the support for all leave of absence cases and workers’ compensation claims. Effectively coordinates all cases/claims to include general administration, comprehensi…
(This position will be 100% Remote.) Summary: The Senior Payroll Analyst performs a wide variety of payroll processing activities to ensure the accuracy of the payroll …
The Freedom Mortgage Human Resources Project Manager is accountable for improving the overall maturity of Program & Project management across the organization. This role will lead alongside a team of Program/Project Managers and Project Admi…
Summary This role will serve as the primary HR leader for the assigned business unit and ensure alignment of business and HR strategies, service and delivery. …