**THIS POSITION CAN SIT REMOTELY**
Contested Default/BK Case Specialist III is responsible for Bankruptcy related litigation, foreclosure non-jury trial case handling across all portfolios and investors and Non-Routine Case Management. The primary focus of this role is related to bankruptcy litigation but includes management of non-bankruptcy related litigation as necessary. The specialist is responsible for specific account coordination with external stakeholders (including bankruptcy counsel, foreclosure counsel, investors and judicial bodies). The specialist works autonomously, balancing investor and courtroom requirements in a fast-paced, legal setting. 80% plus travel required. Responsible for working directly with governmental, special servicing, private label, and high profile investors while making decisions and providing resolutions regarding routine contested foreclosure and bankruptcy issues in order to minimize risks and mitigate loss outside of their delegated authority. Provide management with status updates and prepare a variety of complex reports to ensure compliance with all agency, investor and insurer guidelines. Support internal staff with questions regarding bankruptcy and contested foreclosure matters within their delegated authority. Responsible for ensuring the bankruptcy and contested default process is completed accurately in adherence to mandatory state and investor timelines by acting as a liaison between Freedom Mortgage and outside counsel.
This position is remote!
Essential Job Functions:
- Review and Analyze Bankruptcy adversary pleadings, objections, borrower complaints and other associated Contested Bankruptcy matters
- Manage a caseload of Bankruptcy and Contested Default matters as it relates to case updates, settlements, and appearances
- Represent Freedom Mortgage in various bankruptcy, contested, and non-contested litigation trials with full settlement authority or settle cases where consent judgment may be reached
- Consistent travel required
- Appear in person or telephonically for non-jury trials, depositions, and other hearings
- Interact with judges, court appointed mediators, opposing counsel, borrowers and Freedom retained counsel to resolve delinquencies through loss mitigation and or foreclosure management
- Ensure accurate & timely Attorney referral on all Bankruptcy and Contested Default Cases
- Extensive knowledge of various Bankruptcy laws, issues, pleadings and resolutions
- Working knowledge of mortgage banking, familiarity with RESPA, FDCPA &federal and state laws
- Maintain, review and manage litigation pipeline with in house counsel
- Maintain, update and manage business records within Tempo, Fiserv and other Business Systems to capture account activity.
- Managing past due and defaulted Bankruptcy and standard Contested FCL cases including FNMA, GNMA, FHLMC, FHA,VA,USDA & Private Investors
- Follow up on all contested foreclosure actions daily/monthly to ensure investor guidelines and monthly status requirements are within compliance.
- Examine bankruptcy and contested litigation related expenses as they pertain to investor guidelines/company policy
- Review and prepare Monthly reporting and distribution
- Assist with reviewing state, federal and investor/insurer changes as well as process implementation
- Assist with reviewing and responding to audits
- Ensure accounts are properly documented with actions taken, correspondence, and explanation of controllable vs non controllable delays.
- Knowledgeable in agency, investor or insurer timelines and documents requirements for judicial and non-judicial foreclosures.
- Perform periodic analyses and review of data and investigate questionable items.
- Develop a strong working relationship with network of Servicer Appointed and Designated Counsels
- Utilize judicial processes and protocols for federal and state trial procedures
- Manage time reporting, travel scheduling, expense reporting and regular business activities when off-site travel required.
Other Related Duties:
Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree from a Four (4) year College or University; or four (4) to five (5) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. 7-10 years working knowledge of bankruptcy laws and processes as well as foreclosure laws and terminology. Must have 3+ years of handling depositions and Non-Jury Trials.
Type of Skill and or Licensing/Certification/Registration:
- Microsoft Word
Ability to read words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to comprehend and write simple instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Customer Service Relationships:
Requires moderate interpersonal and communication skills to ensure that customer requests or needs are met. Acknowledges and clarifies customer inquiries, requests, or complaints to ensure that needs are identified, documented and addressed.
Tasks are multiple and diverse with some interrelationship across processes. Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or precedents.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unpleasant elements. Position requires light physical activity. Up to 10 pounds.
Career development and advancement
Working at Freedom, you have the chance to invest in yourself. From on-the-job training to advancement opportunities, and from tuition assistance to our annual internal leadership conference, we’re focused on upskilling, achieving, and celebrating.Learn More
We run huge company-sponsored donation events and contests, as well as offer paid volunteer time so you can commit your support to the causes which you care about most.Learn More
Holidays and paid time off
We offer ample paid time off including multiple paid holidays — because your downtime and well-being are just as important to us as your time in work mode.Learn More
Our salaries are competitive — rewarding your experiences, contributions, and hard work. We also have a 401K plan which provides a matching contribution.Learn More
We offer several medical benefits plans and options to choose from including dental, vision, disability and life insurance, dependent care and flexible spending.Learn More
Pets are part of the family too! We offer comprehensive vet insurance to make sure your cats are cared for, your pups are prioritized, and your lizards looked-after.Learn More
Soar With Us Flying ahead of the flock for over 30 years, we at Freedom Mortgage have taken millions of Americans under our wing and helped them achieve their dreams of financial betterment and homeownership. This is o…
Summary: The Property Preservation Specialist will be responsible for reviewing reports produced by our preservation vendor and identifying any and all issues which will prevent deteriora…
The Director, Escrow Administration is responsible for providing oversight for the Tax and Escrow Analysis functions within the Escrow Administartion group. Essential Job Functions: …
The FHA Claim Processing Specialist is responsible for the filing of all FHA Part B claims and all non-conveyance claims including CWCOT (Claims without Conveyance of Title), SFLS (Single Family Loan Sale) claims and all Loss Mitigation claims i…
Summary Foreclosure Bidding Specialist is responsible for working directly with governmental, special servicing, private label, and high profile investors while making decisions and providing resolutions regardin…
The Supervisor over Conventional Claim filing is responsible for the coordinating, monitoring and management of the FNMA, FHLMC, and PMI Claims staff which includes Specialists and/or Claim and Servicing Specialists. This includes ensuring that…
Summary The Mediation Specialist will have the primary responsibility of making an appearance for in-person or by phone mediations with various courts, judges and attorneys. Through conference calls or in writing; dete…
Summary: The Property Preservation Supervisor will be responsible for the monitoring and management of the default invoice processing support staff. Will carry out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the…
Soar With Us Flying ahead of the flock for over 30 years, we at Freedom Mortgage have taken millions of Americans under our wing and helped them achieve their dreams of financial betterment and homeownership. This …